Electric vehicles are the best alternative for fuel vehicles and they are available at a very low cost and ecologically beneficial alternative to gasoline and diesel automobiles. The term “electric vehicle” refers to any vehicle that operates partially or entirely on electricity. These cars operate on battery packs or a mix of fuel and electricity rather than gasoline.
This is where an electric charging station enters the picture, and possessing one is financially beneficial to both the owner and the consumers. So if anyone wants to travel more than what their electric vehicle offers to travel (range). We’ll look at how to open a low-cost EV charging station in India. In this article we will cover everything you need to know about setting up a new charging station.
It is simple to set up any charging station in India since the Indian government has said that anybody is allowed to set up a battery – powered charging station anywhere in the nation without a licence, as long as the station fulfils the power ministry’s regulations.
What Are Fame Initiatives Regarding Electric Charging Stations?
The government of India plans to add over 1000 or more charging stations for electric around 2023 as part of Phase Two of the FAME initiative, and has already requested proposals from firms. The following are some of FaME’s key features:
- The Indian government has made it mandatory to provide an electric vehicle charging station, a minimum of one 6000 charging stations are going to be set on major roads for all kinds of vehicle.
- Following the instructions of something like the Power Department of India, the Indian government has made it permit for anybody to set up an Electric vehicle charging station in India.
We are now nowhere near the criteria given by the power ministry, since there are hardly any EV charging stations in India, and we can see that there is a HUGE demand and necessity for charging stations just at moment, as people are becoming more aware of the importance of electric vehicles.
According to the government’s infrastructure requirements, an EV power bank must be installed every 3 kilometres in cities and every 25 kilometres on both sides of highways. A charging station for short or medium and larger trucks should be located every 100 kilometres both on sides of the route. In addition, India is creating an electric highway connecting Delhi and Mumbai in order to improve industrial transportation.
Different Types Of Charging Stations
There are mainly three
Different types of Electric vehicle Chargerging stations, they are slow charger, standard charger and fast charger. They are classifies based on their power output and charging time.
Level 1 Or The Low Charging Point
It is the most basic type of charging station for electric cars that charge slowly. It may be used on residential circuits and runs on 120 volts (V) using an Alternate Current (AC) connector. This device that takes about 11 hours to recharge the battery. It is mostly used in households to charge electric vehicles overnight.
Level 2 Or Standard Charging Point
A 240 volt (V) Alternate Current socket allows for a charging duration of 4 to 6 hours on average. It works with all electric vehicles, including plug-in hybrids. The majority of these stations are found in public parking lots, as well as business and residential structures.
Level 3 Or Rapid Charging Point
Using a 480 volts (V) Current ( dc ) power connector, it can recharge the batteries up to 80% in 20 to 30 minutes. However, because most EVs do not ensure quick charging, it is not suitable with all of them. They are only allowed to be put at public charging stations.
Which vehicles can be charged at a charging station?
At an Electric Charging Station, you may charge various types of vehicles, including two-wheelers, three-wheelers, four-wheelers, buses, and other large vehicles. Nonetheless, the electric charging station must have enough room to accommodate these cars. In general, the three initial categories of automobiles are simpler to charge than large vehicles since the former demand less parking space. However, buses as well as other large vehicles that require additional parking space must meet the following conditions:
- With a single connection charger, no less than 2 chargers of at minimum 100 kW each one of different requirements are required.
- Suitable Liquid Cooled Cable in a high-speed charging station for onboard charging of Fluid Cooled Batteries.
- Fast Charging Stations, or FCS, have battery switching facilities.
Investment required to set up charging station in India
The cost of putting up a EV charging station within India ranges from Inr 1 lakh to 40 lakh rupees, based on the kinds of chargers and the amount of investment one is ready to make. However, based on a more general situation and a delivery of 60 Kilowatts EV Stations, the following is a rough estimate.
- A normal combined charging system of 60 kwh will cost you Rs. 12,50,000 /-
- A ChargeDeMode charging system of 60 kwh will cost around Rs. 12,50,000 /-.
- Type 2 Ac charger cost is around Rs. 1,00,000 /-
Let us also take a look at the total cost required to set up a new fast charger charging station
- A New Electricity Connection 250 KVA: will cost Rs. 7,50,000 /- and for the Civil construction work it will cost Rs. 2,50,000 /-.
- EV Software Management and Software Integration it will be Rs. 40,000 /-.
- it will cost Rs. 3,50,000 /- for the Technicians, Manpower, and for Maintenance every year.
- For advertising and Promotion it will be around Rs. 50,000 /- and if your land is your own it will cost zero rupees and if it is leased then the cost will be Rs. 6,00,000 /- every yearly.
- So it will totally be around Rs. 40,00,000 /-, along with a maintaince from second year which will be Rs. 10,00,000 /-
Things To Do Before Setting Up An Electric Charging Station:-
- A generator, power station equipment, and protective gear are being installed.
- 33/11 KV wires and accompanying line and metering equipment
- Installations and civil works.
- Land area for car charging the vehicles and for the vehicles to enter and leave the station.
- All charger models must be installed in accordance with local and international requirements.
How much revenue can a charging station make every year?
Setting up an electric charging station does not provide us control over revenue estimates. However, we can look at a well-researched situation and come up with a plausible forecast for the following five years.
With the aforesaid expenditure of Rs. 40 lakhs, you may expect a daily usage of 500 to 1000 kilowatt hour for Electric Vehicles. It would be as following if you consider electricity usage for 360 days as well as a set profit of Rs. 10 /- for every consumption.
- 600 kWh per day for 1st year then 600 kwh x 360 days x Rs. 10 = 21,60,000/-
- 600 kWh per day for 2 nd year then 600 kwh x 360 days x Rs. 10 = 21,60,000/-
- 600 kWh per day for 3rd year then 600 kwh x 360 days x Rs. 10 = 21,60,000/-
- 800 kWh per day in the fourth year then 800 kwh x 360 days x Rs. 10 = 28,80,000/-
- 1000 kWh per day for fifth year will give you 1000 kwh x 360 days x Rs. 10 = 36,00,000/-
- This will give you an average revenue of 1,29,60,000 /- without reducing the extra spendings involved.
Benefits of owning up EV Charging Stations
There are several advantages to establishing EV charging stations, including making a living and improving the environment. Some of them may have been explained in the following paragraphs:
- India is on the verge of entering the electronic car age. In the future years, gasoline-powered automobiles will be phased out in favour of electric vehicles. As a result, EV charging stations will be in great demand.
- The government offers a variety of incentives and subsidies for the installation of electric vehicle charging stations.
- The cost of establishing an electric vehicle charging station is inexpensive, and income would grow year after year.
- It would assist in the implementation of India’s “Go Green Initiative.”
The electric vehicle charging facilities are not free. They charge in accordance with the state or country’s rates.
Yes, you can set up an EV charging station at home. You’ll need to talk to your electrician and set up charging stations and wires.
An Electric vehicle charging station is a location where electric cars may recharge outside of their homes.
Yes, once your installation costs have been covered, the remaining revenue may be considered profit. The expenditures of installation are expected to make a profit in three to five years.
It is possible to install a Direct Current charging station, but it is not advised as it is expensive to install and maintain the charging station. As a result, installing the fast charger will only cause trouble if installed at home.
Yes, the federal government has published regulations for the installation of electric vehicle charging stations. State governments also grant various subsidies for the very same.
Electric vehicles, as we all know, are the next greatest thing on the planet, even in India. EV sales are increasing daily, despite the fact that there are only 2% of electric vehicles in India compared to conventional fuel vehicles. This is due to a lack of charging stations, which is the main reason for the low number of electric vehicle sales in India.
Using the electric car charging station also provides a profit and a huge opportunity. If you have the financial means and want to start your own business, now would be the moment to invest in the future by purchasing EV Charging Stations.