The amount of e-scooters on the road in India is increasing at an exponential rate. The latest electric scooter models are noted for having incredible attributes that make them so much more appealing to purchasers. Regardless of whether you own a regular or electric scooter, bike insurance is always required.
It’s a good idea to get scooter insurance which covers all forms of damage and loss. Every two-wheeler owner is required by the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 to obtain third-party coverage, without which you will be not permitted to use your vehicle on the road. You might be in trouble if you don’t follow the rules. When it comes to electric scooters, it’s a different story.
The administration has yet to disclose precise rules and regulations because the country is currently in the process of adopting them. As a result, e-bikes are exempt from all two-wheeler insurance regulations.
Electric scooter owners are not required to carry third-party insurance because not all electric scooters were classified as motor vehicles. However, having insurance coverage, including for electric scooters within India, is always a good idea to help support you in the event of an unavoidable mishap.
Benefits of Electric scooter insurance Policy in India
You must ensure your electric scooter is according to the manufacturer’s recommendations and legal requirements. Another important reason to ensure your motorcycle is that this was a valuable possession. When assets are insured, they can be financially safeguarded against loss (for example, repair costs). You may file a claim if the bike is damaged, which would save you money on repairs.
The following are some of the advantages of electric scooter insurance coverage:
- In the event that your vehicle is broken, lost, or damaged, you can be confident that your insurance company will cover the costs.
- A comprehensive coverage will protect you in the event of a personal accident.
- Depending on your policy, you may be eligible for advantages such as a no-claim bonus.
- If you choose insurance that includes third-party liability coverage, you will be protected legally.
What is covered by the policy on electric scooters?
- Damaged parts are covered for replacement or repair.
- Natural disasters cause loss or damage to two-wheelers.
- Personal injury protection for one’s insured car in the event of a personal accident.
- Events involving third parties are covered.
- Damage to two-wheelers caused by fires, theft, rioting, or strikes.
- Road accident damage to two-wheelers.
Situations where your insurance isn’t applicable
- Any harm to a two-wheeler that occurs as a result of a war-like event.
- Damage caused by driving without a valid driver’s licence or a current insurance coverage.
- The insured vehicle’s typical wear and tear as a result of regular use.
- Natural failure of one’s insured vehicle’s electrical or mechanical components.
- Any harm or accident that occurred as a result of driving while inebriated or speeding.
How to choose the right Electric scooter insurance Policy in India
Insurance plans for electric cars, like those for gasoline-powered vehicles, are divided into two categories, from which you may select the plan that best suits your needs.
1) Insurance for third parties
This coverage keeps you covered for claims deriving from harm to a 3rd party or property damage to both a third party caused mostly by insured Electric vehicles. Damages towards the scooter are not covered.
2) Own-damage insurance
Your bike will be protected for ‘own damages’ under this coverage. It also covers the coverage provided by Third-Party Coverage. Please keep the following considerations in mind when purchasing insurance for an electric scooter online.
• Double-check that you are legally liable.
• Get a good deal on a comprehensive insurance policy.
• Think about digital-first insurance businesses since they have solid processes that relate to all aspects of the insurance industry.
• Compare prices, coverage, and services to see which plan is best for you.
• Carefully read the policy’s terms and conditions to determine what is covered and what is not.
What documents are needed to insure the electric scooter?
Your insurance rate will be lower since electric scooters are safer.
- There is no need for a registration certificate.
- Also, not all of the additional papers necessary for two-wheeler insurance are required for electric scooter policy.
- Only identification and address evidence, such as a passport or driver’s licence, as well as aadhaar or voter card, are accepted.
- You’ll also need to present two recent passport photographs.
Electric scooter Insurance Policy types
Depreciation reimbursement, no claiming bonus (NCB) protection, glass, fiber, plastic, and rubber part repair, damage to personal items, case of emergencies transport and guesthouse expenses, daily recommended amount, return to bill, key restoration, motor safeguard, tire safety, consumable expenditures, and roadside assistance are all included in the Auto Protected electric Vehicle Comprehensive Policy.
All varieties of electric motorcycles and scooters can be covered by the same third-party or comprehensive insurance coverage that is available for normal non-electric two-wheelers.
Third party coverage
- Because third-party coverage is required by the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, it protects third-party financial liability in the following situations:
- If an individual dies as a result of riding an electric two-wheeler,
- If the covered two-wheeler causes physical injury to a third person, the policy will be voided.
- If indeed the electric bike or scooter causes property damage to a third party
- Third-party coverage for such a new electric scooter or scooter should be purchased for a minimum of five years.
- Property damage is covered up to Inr 7.5 lakh under the third-party insurance policy. The coverage for death and physical injury, on the other hand, is limitless.
You may also put on a variety of add-ons to your comprehensive coverage for all-around protection of your two-wheeler. Popular add-ons, according to Mahyavanshi, include the following:
- Add-on for zero depreciation, which eliminates the relevant devaluation at the time the claim and increases the claim pay-out. Add-on for roadside assistance (RSA), which gives help 24 hours a day, seven days a week in the event of a breakdown.
- Add-on that preserves the no claim discounts even if there is a claim.
- Return to invoicing (RTI) is an add-on that reimburses the two-invoice wheeler’s value in the event of complete loss or theft.
- The engine and gear-box safeguarding add-on protects any damage to your electric bike’s engine and gear box, particularly from rain and floods.
Why buy two-wheeler Insurance for Electric Scooters?
Electric vehicles are widely accepted in India, however, the industry for electric 2 wheelers and electric automobiles is still modest. Despite the government’s financial incentives, buyers remain wary about these automobiles. This might be one of the reasons why the government has yet to issue a comprehensive regulation or guideline for the insurance of electric scooters.
Electric scooters aren’t cheap –
Despite the government’s best efforts to encourage the purchase and usage of electric scooters throughout India, demand has remained stable.
The cost of rechargeable batteries operated scooters in India is a major factor in this apprehension. These electric scooters are more expensive than gasoline-powered scooters or motorbikes. As a result, it becomes necessary to safeguard it against any inadvertent harm. Because these scooters are so expensive, the expense of repairs can quickly mount, making comprehensive insurance coverage a lifesaver.
Electric scooters may be quite powerful machines.
Some electric scooters do not require registration, as we previously said. You wouldn’t even need a legitimate driver’s license to operate one. Because these e-scooters emit less power and can only go 25 kmph, an exception to the law was granted. But on the other hand, this isn’t the case with today’s electric scooters. Many electric scooters with strong engines that can create significant torques have been produced in India in recent years by vehicle manufacturers. These two-wheelers can attain high speeds of roughly 80 to 90 kmph in the blink of an eye. In the event of an accident, comprehensive two-wheeler insurance may protect you from costly repairs.
Is insurance required for electric scooter in India
According to the Indian Motor Vehicles Act the bike owners must carry a valid third-party insurance coverage, and failure to do so might result in severe fines. However, because the electronic bike sector in our nation is still in its infancy, the laws and regulations governing it have yet to be developed.
Electric cars that comply with the safety standards of using one electric motor with a power with less than 250 W and a top speed of 25 km/h are not classified as motorized vehicles and are thus excluded from the law.
Electric scooters are more expensive and are a prized asset of the user who wishes to protect them. As a result, comprehensive car insurance is a necessary, as it covers both your bike and any third-party damage.
It also safeguards your bike in the event of a natural disaster and compensates you if it is stolen. Electric scooter insurance may protect you from large financial losses in the same way that a helmet can protect your head from catastrophic damage. It is thus preferable to have insurance.
BEST Insurance for electric scooter in India
IFFCO Tokio focuses on providing you with the finest insurance with some of the most features. Basic financial coverage is provided by the basic third-party Heroes Electric Bike 2 wheeler insurance policy. The complete Hero Electrical Bike two-wheeler insurance coverage, on the other hand, comes with additional benefits, which is why most bikers choose it. You may obtain Hero Battery powered Bike two-wheeler insurance from IFFCO Tokio, which will precisely fit your needs.
RTO and Insurance charges for electric scooter
|Two Wheeler||Price before 2020||Price Now|
|Not exceeding the 75 cc for scooter||Rs. 482 /-||Rs. 506 /-|
|Exceeding 75 ccs but not exceeding 150 cc for scooter||Rs. 752 /-||Rs. 769 /-|
|Exceeding 150 cc but not exceeding 350 cc for scooter||Rs. 1,193 /-||Rs. 1,301 /-|
|Exceeding 350 cc for scooter||Rs. 2,323 /-||Rs. 2,571 /-|
Electric scooter insurance price
The price varies depending on the firm; however, all of the below-mentioned insurance companies need not require inspection as well as offer a paperless insurance policy. These below mentioned rates are the premium amount offered by different insurance companies.
|Digit insurance||Rs. 899 /-|
|Sriram Gic insurance||Rs. 958 /-|
|Magma HDI insurance||Rs. 959 /-|
|United India Insurance||Rs. 966 /-|
|National insurance||Rs. 970 /-|
|New India insurance||Rs. 970 /-|
|Royal Sundaram insurance||Rs. 970 /-|
|Cholamandalam insurance||Rs. 987 /-|
|Kotak general Insurance||Rs. 989 /-|
|Navi general insurance||Rs. 989 /-|
|Oriental insurance||Rs. 1005 /-|
|Tata AIG insurance||Rs. 1005 /-|
|Future generali insurance||Rs. 1032 /-|
|Liberty general insurance||Rs. 1012 /-|
|Sbi general insurance||Rs. 1036 /-|
|Bajaj alliance||Rs. 1040 /-|
1. Is it necessary to purchase EV insurance?
In India, all vehicles on public highways must have at least a third-party liability insurance policy.
2. Is it possible to get two-wheeler coverage for my Battery-powered scooter from a firm other than the dealer?
You may get two-wheeler insurance coverage directly from its insurer by calling them and expressing your interest.
These add-ons aren’t stand-alone covers, so don’t expect them to be. They must be bought in conjunction with a Comprehensive Policy.
4. Is there a unique Electric vehicle insurance coverage, or are the plans the same for both gasoline and electric vehicles?
EV-specific insurance is being considered by several insurers. However, the policy that applies to a gasoline-powered car can also be applied to an electric vehicle. It’s best to talk to your insurance about the specifics.
The cost of insurance for something like an electric scooter may be more than for a gas-powered car, but not for the causes you may think. Because electric cars are more expensive than conventional vehicles, they are more expensive to maintain and replace. When you consider the potential lifelong energy requirement, maintenance, and repair savings, comparing vehicle insurance rates and taking advantage of quantity discounts and incentives may considerably reduce the overall cost of ownership for electric automobiles.
So if you are having an electric scooter even if you don’t require a license to drive one it will be very wise of you to have proper insurance cover to help you in case of accidents, which are inevitable. Hope we have covered all the details required to get a better idea of electric scooter insurance.